Expectorants like Mucinex, cough suppressants like Robitussin, vapor rubs like Vicks VapoRub, and cough drops are all considered safe during pregnancy.
What Robitussin can you take while pregnant?
Robitussin DM is a cough remedy containing guaifenesin to loosen mucus and dextromethorphan, a medication to suppress coughing. Both ingredients are safe to use during pregnancy.
Can Robitussin cause birth defects?
Taking dextromethorphan as directed will not cause a fetus to have birth defects. It should be noted, however, that the overuse or misuse of dextromethorphan can negatively affect a pregnant woman and therefore, her fetus.
Is Robitussin Maximum Strength safe during pregnancy?
Dextromethorphan and guaifenesin both appear to be safe to use during pregnancy.
Can you take Robitussin Night time while pregnant?
It is not known whether Robitussin Nighttime Cough DM will harm an unborn baby. Ask a doctor before using this medicine if you are pregnant. Dextromethorphan and doxylamine may pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Antihistamines may also slow breast milk production.
What is the difference between Robitussin and Robitussin DM?
Robitussin Dm (Guaifenesin / Dextromethorphan) is okay for loosening congestion in your chest and throat, but it could prevent you from coughing the mucus up. … Robitussin (Guaifenesin) reduces the thickness and amount of mucus in your throat and chest.
Can I take Robitussin and Tylenol together while pregnant?
No interactions were found between Robitussin Cough + Chest Congestion DM and Tylenol.
Can Robitussin cause miscarriage?
Does taking dextromethorphan increase the chance of miscarriage? Miscarriage can occur in any pregnancy. Studies on women have not been done to see if taking dextromethorphan could increase the chance for a miscarriage.
Which cough syrup is best for dry cough during pregnancy?
For a dry cough, a cough suppressant such as pholcodine or dextromethorphan is considered safe during pregnancy. Dry, irritating coughs are usually associated with a postnasal drip.
How do you get rid of a dry cough when pregnant?
- To help eliminate secretions, drink plenty of water.
- Dextromethorphan syrup (e.g. Benylin DM) can be used to relieve a dry cough.
- Most cough drops (e.g. Halls) are safe in pregnancy.
- Consult your family doctor if: Your cough persists beyond seven (7) days. …
- Avoid preparations containing pseudoephedrine.
What helps a sore throat when pregnant?
You can try the following:
- Gargle with warm salt water to help your sore throat feel better.
- Avoid cold liquids, which can aggravate a sore throat. Instead, try caffeine-free herbal teas, such as chamomile or lemon tea with cinnamon. Be sure to stay hydrated.
- Get plenty of rest to allow your body to heal.
What cold medicine is safe while pregnant?
Common Cold Medicine and Pregnancy: The Safe List
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
- Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
- Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed)
- Loratadine (Claritin)
- Zinc lozenges.
- Chloraseptic spray (but a salt water gargle is just as effective, with no risks)
What are the side effects of Robitussin?
Dizziness, headache, nausea, nervousness, or trouble sleeping may occur. If any of these effects last or get worse, contact your doctor or pharmacist promptly. If your doctor has prescribed this medication, remember that your doctor has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects.